Thursday, September 23, 2010

Love you Brisbane

We've been home for one week - and what a week it's been :) I couldn't think of one thing to blog about so I've decided to make a short list, in no particular order of enjoyment or importance, and share it with you.

In the past week I have enjoyed :

1. Family get-togethers. Since arriving we've had dinner at my Mum's with Mark, Carmel, Nikki, Dan and my brother Phil. As usual Mum cooked up a feast - had the entire population of T.I. come to visit, there would have been leftovers.

Above: Nikki and Dan
Below: Vera and Cameron. Phil is sitting behind Cameron
The following night Vera and Cameron joined us for a meal at a local turkish restaurant, complete with belly dancer. I must admit that I didn't need too much encouragement (after a couple of wines) to join in on one of her dances around the tables. Well - she did offer me a scarf ........

Yesterday Nikki and I went to visit my niece Pina, her 2 gorgeous little girls and her mum. We had a great time catching up and enjoyed a delicious lunch of individual quiche, salad, strawberries drowned in marsala and fresh cream. I came home feeling totally satisfied.

2. A session at the Story Bridge Hotel. It felt so good to be there and to see so many familiar faces - hi Julie, Kim, Margaret, Virginia, David and Sue. The jazz was there, the buzz was there and my favourite wine is still there to be enjoyed while chatting and catching up. Can't wait to do it again.

3. My best friend. On Monday I went to see the Valentino collection with my best friend Maria - we have been friends for 51 years :) I met her on the first day of grade 1 at the old St Stephens school in Brisbane City. We have through so much together - marriages, babies, marital problems, breakups, our kids' weddings, good times, not so good times but mainly lots of fun times. Through it all she has been a great support to me - "the wind beneath my wings".

Going out with Maria is an event - lots of laughter, usually a deep and meaningful thrown in for good measure, a lot of understanding and a lot of fun.

4. Movies!!!! Since Sunday night Rob and I have been to the movies twice. Once to see "The kids are all right" and then today to see "Wall Street 2". I'm sorry I won't be here to see "Eat Pray Love". I'll wait for it to come out on DVD and watch it on T.I. on the big screen that Rob has rigged up at the pilot house.

5. Coffee shops. Yes I have my favourite coffee shop on T.I. but it's so nice to find and experience new ones that have cropped up since I've been away. There's a new one around the corner called "Espresso Stop" - I've enjoyed a coffee there most mornings after my walk and this morning I took Rob for breakfast. It ticks all the right boxes - friendly staff, interesting selection of meals, great ambiance and of course good coffee.

6. Fresh flowers. The first thing I did last Friday was buy myself a big bunch of flowers to add to the gardenias that my house sitter had left for me on the coffee table.

I am so desperate for the flower experience that today I purchased a bunch of fake tulips to take back with me. I have to say that for fakes, they look pretty good - if I keep telling myself that I will eventually believe it.

Rob and I have another week before we return to our island adventure. Another week of family, friends, catching up, eating out and hopefully a movie. Another week of enjoying our home, our garden with it's lush greenery, spring lillies that are all in bloom and healthy pot plants on our wonderful front deck.

My niece asked me if I was looking forward to going back. I told her that I'm living in the now .... and loving it.

Life is good :)

No comments:

Post a Comment