Thursday, September 9, 2010

Farewell to Boris

Our kitchen - a warm and welcoming space where we shared our meals with Boris

This morning we farewelled Boris :) He's been with us for a week and this morning Rob put him on a flight to begin his journey home. Tonight he'll land in Canberra where he will be met by the ambassador who will issue him with his new passport and then tomorrow he flies to Sydney to connect with a flight for Venice.

While he's been here, he's eaten with us every night. At first I was a bit concerned - what do Slovanians eat? Well .... anything, especially if they've been at sea for three years :) Boris was a very genial guest - he graciously complimented my cooking and ate with gusto whatever I put in front of him - pasta, stir fry and roast lamb.

My Italian has improved considerably since having him here and he learnt enough English to communicate with Rob while I was at work.

But the most enjoyable part of playing host to Boris was sharing our space with him. I know he felt welcomed and comfortable joining us for meals. And we liked having him at our table.

He told me this morning that he while he thought T.I. was a very beautiful place he was very homesick and couldn't wait to get home to his family. Understandable. He also told me that Rob and I had become like family and that he will never forget us. Feelings mutual Boris. We wish you well and look forward to catching up with you on your turf ..... one day.

življenje Je Dober

No comments:

Post a Comment