Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Girls Night In

Tonight I've baked a batch of brownies, a chocolate cake and written a letter to my Mum. No - Rob is not away. He's actually having a nap on the spare bed, but I suspect from the sounds of sleep that are emanating from that room, that he may stay there most of the night :-)

The brownies are for an event this Friday night. Margaret and I are hosting a Girls Night In. For those of you who don't know it's an initiative by the Cancer Council of Australia to raise awareness and funds for Breast Cancer. Women simply invite some friends around for a night of fun - be it watching a chic flick, sharing a meal or a cheese platter and a glass of wine. The guests are asked to donate what they would spend on a night out.

We have organised a game of trivia with prizes and will be providing dinner - a simple meal of lasagna, salad and garlic bread. Margaret is baking pink cupcakes and I have made the brownies to be given as party favours when our guests leave.

I was chatting with one of the teachers today in the staff room - I found out this morning that a friend of mine has just been diagnosed - and she commented that it would be unusual to not know someone who has had breast cancer. Too true.

My friend, Claire, has regular mammograms and so the disease has been caught in the early stages. Her GP is very confident that treatment will be successful. Her attitude is amazing, and her friends - myself included - will be supporting and loving her though this journey.

So Claire - this Friday is for you. And for all those other amazing women who have heard those two words and then with amazing strength, courage and dignity have fought, survived and now wear their scars with pride.

1 comment:

  1. Have a wonderful girls night. Sounds like fun.
    Yes I know two I have worked with

    ReplyDelete