Sunday, September 4, 2011

A walk around the island



I know I've shown you this view before but I think the tide was out. I wanted to show you how beautiful it is - this is what I see when I come out of the walkway from our back gate. I love taking Kacee for a walk on the beach - she loves it. I've started collecting seaweed to use as mulch on my garden beds. It works a treat.
 
This is Anzac Park from the foreshore. Anzac Park is an oasis of greenery and calm in the middle of Douglas Street.

The Jardine Motel, just around the corner from where we live. The Governor and Anna Bligh have stayed here on recent visits ..... along with a lot of other people.

Do you like our turtle family? - they live on the foreshore :-)

This is the wharf where you will arrive when you come to visit me. The yellow shop is the Jetty Shop. They sell great gifts - jewellery, books, t-shirts, some homewares.

And the welcome sign that will greet you :-)

This beach is between the two wharves - it's not used much

I wonder why? Unfortunately this sign is common on our lovely beaches.


Back on Douglas Street, near the other end. The one and only bank. Which bank isn't there? The shop next door houses R&Fs - the island dollar shop & fast food outlet - a laundromat and travel agency. The island looks lush at the moment - sprinklers worked overtime greening the place up for Anna's visit last weekend.

The Pearl Shop - run by the beautiful Vanessa - home of pearls, accessories and fashion

The other side of the street from the Pearl shop - the new Commonwealth Government building. It was officially blessed and opened last Monday by Anna Bligh. See how close the water is? - it's never too far away from anywhere.

This is our local radio station 4MW. This is where I take the school leaders every Thurdsay to do a pre-recording for a show called the Education Hour which is aired on Friday. It is broadcast on TI and the outer islands and is a great way to keep parents and the community informed about what is happening at the high school.

No comments:

Post a Comment