Monday, April 25, 2011

One day at a time

"Life is what happens when you're busy making plans". If all had gone according to plan I would have been on my way back to TI today, unpacking and settling back in tomorrow and ready to start my new job at the high school on Wednesday.

But life happened and I'm still here. Since arriving home from our weekend in Adelaide I've been spending my days at Mum's and spending my time with Phil. For a while I was undecided about what to do - do I go back to the island and plan to come back in a few weeks? Or do I stay on for another week or two, go back to TI and wait for the phone call?

And then the decision was made for me. Phil had a particularly bad day and after I had helped Mum to settle him I knew that I didn't want to be anywhere else. I am grateful to God and the Universe that I have been given the privilege to spend this precious time with him.

Our days have a certain routine. In the mornings he tends to be restless until the nurse arrives and sets him up for the day with his meds. After that he rests - dozing, waking for short periods, dozing again. During this time Mum will sometimes try to get him to eat something - and he does try, although he doesn't always have appetite.

It's in the afternoon that he seems to perk up a bit. Maybe he's now rested and has a bit of energy, maybe the meds have kicked in and his pain is just a tad less. For that reason, the late afternoons have been a time to relax and enjoy each other's company.

I'll sometimes pour myself a glass of wine and Phil may join me with his chocolate drink. Although the other day he asked me to get him a beer from the fridge and we toasted each other - wine glass to beer can :-)

I go home about 6ish and give the rest of my time to Rob who has been so patient and kind. He's going through his own discomfort as he heals from the back injury he sustained about 5 weeks ago. I think he prefers time on his own - I tend to suggest that he do things, go places - and he'd rather not. Joking aside, he has been very understanding about my need to be with Phil and never complains.

I fall into bed at night exhausted. And tomorrow is another day.

Life is what happens ........

No comments:

Post a Comment