Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Not long now

School is almost out - December 3rd is our last day. And while the kids technically still have just over a week of schooling, the time will be spent on activities, rewards for hard work, recognition of achievements .... and cleaning up.

The HUB - my desk :-)

One of the many cultural artworks that you will find around the campus.
The teachers are madly marking and writing reports and the teacher aide is madly giving them all the support they need :-) Today the year 8s were treated to a mediterranean feast as a reward for their hard work on their Ancient Civilisations unit.  We prepared platters of chicken, cold meats, lamb kebabs, greek potatoes and salad, herb bread rolls and a cake for dessert.

By the end of lunch most of the food had gone and we had enough left over for a few older stragglers who wandered in and politely asked if they could have something. I'd forgotten how much teenage boys can eat! A job well done for Vanessa, their teacher, and the four year 11 students who very ably assisted us with the preparation. BTW - there's hope yet for the year 9s if this is what they will eventually become :-)

This time of year also gives rise to a condition called Mango Madness. No, it's not a rush on buying or collecting mangoes - which are in abundance at the moment - it's a state of mind. I don't know if it's the heat or the change in temperature from hot to a bit hotter every day, but your mind starts to play tricks on you and emotions can run high.

For this reason, maybe (?), most people leave the island once school has fininshed and return some time in January. Rob and I, at this stage, have not made any definite plans. The nature of his work does not give us the luxury to plan too far ahead.

But I have to say that I may have a touch of MM. I'm hoping that once work is finished and I have time to myself, I may settle down and start to find my groove again. Perhaps the cure involves having something to look forward to, so for this reason I'm thinking of spending a few days away, maybe in Cairns.

I am a bit nervous about staying on the island over the festive season. It will be as good or as bad as I make it - and so far I have made my time here good. There is a cure for MM - it's about a change of attitude, it's about taking control and knowing that ultimately you can make a difference for the better.

At the moment - life is uncertain.

1 comment:

  1. Mum, you will work it out. It's amazing how much clearer things look once school is out and you are staring down the barrel of 7 weeks holiday! Believe me...I know! xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete