Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Musings on a very rainy day

Yesterday I bought a Christmas tree and decorations - baubles and tinsel. And I still have to get a star for the top of the tree and a crib for underneath - the reason for the season. I wish I'd planned ahead and brought up my decorations from home - I have a beautiful nativity crib and a silver star that's been around since the kids were little.

At the moment there are no presents under the tree - but today I'm planning to wrap a few. The thing is, once they're wrapped, I'll be posting them so that - hopefully - they get delivered in time. Apparently Nikki is posting up a "big parcel" so I'm looking forward to receiving it so that I can complete the tree. And once Rob's present arrives, well there's another one :-)

But you know, who would have thought 12 months ago that I'd be here - Thursday Island - sitting at this outdoor area, listening to the rhythm of the pouring rain, no let me rephrase that - bucketing down rain - and feeling quite good about it all. Who would have thought that a remote island in the far north of Australia could hold such attraction and peace of mind.

I wish my family could come and see where I'm living and playing. I wish I had to make room in the donger for their bags and spare beds. I wish that I could walk them through the pilot house, meet some of the pilots (who are all very nice) and share a meal with them one night.

I'd love to take them to the Gab Titui cafe to meet Mikey and enjoy one his meals. I'd love them to experience the Torres on a Thursday night, to have a coffee at Uncle Frankie's coffee shop and to take them shopping at Mona's, Col Jones and the Pearl Shop. I'd organise a trip to Friday Island to the pearl farm, and Rob could get them on a pilot boat or even a helicopter (but not me - remember? I don't do helicopters).

I want them to see the beauty of this island - the water, the scenery, the people, to get a feel for the place. I want them to see how and why I'm happy to be here for as long as we're here. I want, I want, I want ........

Life is what you make it - and I want you all to know that for me, now, here - life is good.

Did I say I was OK with it all?

2 comments: