Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Update from Cairns

I love Cairns. Last night I bought a t-shirt from the markets. You know, one of those "I (heart) Cairns" and I intend wearing it :-) This is such a pretty city - lots of greenery, not too big, hot - but hey I'm used to heat now and ....... civilised.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not saying T.I. is uncivilised, I'm just saying that it doesn't have a lot of things. Before I came here I'd forgotten how much I love shops - not so much for the shopping but just to know that they are there. I'd forgotten how much I love crowds - not big unruly uncontrollable crowds, but little crowds - in restaurants, walking along the streets, along the esplanade - giving the place that lived-in look, that lived-in feel.

Last night I took myself to dinner at the marina. There are about half a dozen restaurants there and I chose to dine at the Waterbar and Grill - I felt like a steak. The place was fullish - and it was nice to hear the buzz of conversations and to watch people coming and going and interacting. Afterwards I walked home along the esplanade - this is the cafes, restaurants, ice cream shops, souvenir shops street - and I felt quite safe, even though it was late, because again, there were people everywhere.

I'm loving the variety of shops, and that once inside the shop there is a lot to choose from, especially in the supermarket. I nearly went crazy yesterday - the only thing that stopped me buying fresh crusty bread, olives, cheese, salami and a heap of fresh vegetables was that I'm staying in a hotel and there is no way I could eat all that food in the remaining time I have here. But I did buy a crusty bread roll, slices of pastrami and fresh ricotta to have for lunch ....... yummo!!

Now I know what you're thinking. Oh-oh the T.I. honeymoon is over, she's sick of it, she wants out, she's coming home. No!!! you're wrong - on all counts.

Yes - I have been a little out of sorts lately, yes - I have felt a bit disconnected. And that's why I'm here - to get back on track. And it's working :-)

I am feeling pampered, indulged and nice. I am doing nice things for myself, and staying in this hotel - Rydges on the Esplanade - is a great start. I have a beautiful room on the 12th floor with magnificent mountain views and that in itself is so relaxing and calming. The hotel has a large pool surrounded by greenery and I go there every day to lie, read and swim - very very relaxing.

The pool at Rydges - lots of chilling out happening here
I take myself out to dinner to nice eating places, choose what I want and enjoy a glass of wine with my meals which so far have been delicious and satisfying.

We look after our physical health, but sometimes we neglect our emotional health. Well, I'm looking after my emotional health, and with Rob's full blessing and support. We've talked and texted every day and in the busyness of what we're doing, we still miss each other.

I'm looking forward to going home - to T.I., to Rob - relaxed, refreshed and ready to continue our adventure. I guess I've underestimated how big an adventure it is.  My beautiful daughters Vera and Nikki - my rocks (it's very humbling when the child becomes the parent) - reminded me of this before I came down.

I am so grateful that I had the opportunity and the means to do this. I am so grateful for the blessing that is Rob - my partner and my friend.

Life is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment