Friday, August 5, 2011

Another loss

My father-in-law died on Wednesday. I suppose technically I should say my ex-father-in-law but in this case I don't want to be technical. I was his daughter-in-law for 25 years, but I've known him a lot longer of course.

He was a nice man, a good man, a good looking man, a funny man - I loved his sense of humour - a loyal man, considerate, a hard worker, honest, a very loving husband and a wonderful father.

I can remember lots and lots of family get togethers when he was in fine form - he was loud, always joking and  very hospitable - to us, his family and especially to any guests.

When his wife - my mother-in-law - became ill, he nursed her for years. I still say, to this day, that she lived as long as she did, after her illness, because of the care and the love that he gave her.

My father-in-law got old - he 'suffered' from old age. It was a time of confusion, pain - both physical and emotional - for everybody. Everything that was done for him was done out of love and concern for his better health.

Our family has lost again. We've lost a very vibrant, engaging personality - a big personality. Yes - it gives us some comfort to rattle off a list of names of people that he has now joined in the afterlife.  But I still feel sad. And you know what? - I think there's enough of a crowd up there now to keep things going for a while.


Rest in peace Dad - I can still call you that, can't I? Say hi to Mum - Silvana xo

No comments:

Post a Comment