Friday, August 19, 2011

T.I. happenings

Twilight markets were held last Saturday. We missed the first ones - we were in Brisbane - and I'd heard from everyone what a great night it was. After we got back I was very excited to hear that, due to their success, a second twilight markets was planned for August. And I wasn't going to miss these :-)

The eukulele group - we'd been to a workshop that morning and were already up to performing standard. Hey .... "Row, row, row your boat" is a classic :-)

This band is amazing - a wonderful addition to the markets and kept the crowd entertained for hours

Part of the crowd on the foreshore listening to the band and just enjoying the balmy night

Local kids watching their music idols

Lots of goodies for sale. Try a watermelon and coconut drink - it's delicious :-)




My favourite little girl

The world is my oyster
The following day we were on the wharf bright and early to farewell our good friend, Peter Chapman. Peter lives in Atherton and after five years on the island decided it was time to go back to the mainland and begin the next leg of his journey.

I first met Peter when I joined Rotary and was immediately drawn to him. How could I miss him? - he's larger than life, loves life, is very warm, generous and has a positive outlook on everything ..... and he's a great dancer.

In fact the Peter-Silvana team became a bit of an item at a few functions :-) And tonight at the Wongai Ball I will certainly be missing my very flamboyant dancing partner with the red vest. Peter - you could have waited another week :-)

With Peter and Nola on the wharf - Nola and Peter worked together at the Torres Shire Council. Mrs Pat Jones made the lei with fresh frangipanis from her yard. He wore it all the way to Cairns where he reluctantly had to hand it over to the AQIS dog. We were surprised it got that far :-)

My work mate Susie - we share the same staffroom - was also leaving for Cairns with year 12 students on work placement. Zippy and I have missed her :-)

Julie - School to Work offficer - was travelling with Susie.

Our little ferry to Horn Island. We wanted Peter to toss the lei into the water - as is the custom - but being Peter he insisted on wearing it to the plane and hopefully on the plane. And being Peter - that's exactly what he did :-)

Life is good :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment