Monday, August 1, 2011

My new job

Just before I went home in April to see Phil, I was offered a new position at the high school to start in Term 2, after the Easter holidays. But once I had decided to stay on in Brisbane with Phil, I rang the school to let them know and to tell them that I didn't know when I'd be back. At that time nothing else mattered.

Fast forward to my return to the island and Craig, the principal - my boss - informs me that, if I want it, the job is still there. Yes, OK, I'll give it a go.

So the new term saw me arrive at school, excited, apprehensive, eager, confident, not-so-confident and ready to tackle a new job with a very fancy title - Public Relations Officer for Tagai State College - Thursday Island Secondary Campus.

I love it!!! :-)

I share office space with two gorgeous, mad women - Susie, home economics teacher for TAFE and Zipporah or Zippy, student support officer. While we are busy most of the time - in fact Susie is often not in the office because she's teaching - we do have our fun times and laughs are a-plenty.

My first official duty, after being in the job for only one week, was to be part of the group to meet Governor Penelope Wensley when she came to Tagai College. As you know Governor Penny was on T.I. for the Queensland Music Festival and before she left the Torres Strait she paid a visit to several schools both here and on an outer island. So along with the principal, deputy, schooleaders and cultural representatives, I was privileged to share in a tour of the school and together with her Aide, act as resident papparazzi.

In fact the camera and I are becoming quite close and personal as part of my job is to record both in pictures and words any siginificant event for the school.

On Thursday I gave birth to the school newsletter. While the gestation period was only three weeks it was still a time of being anxious - would it turn out OK? would it have all the right parts? would it look good? and most of all - would others love it as much as it's maker? It's early days yet and like any mother I await the oohs and aahs that will - hopefully - compliment my new baby.

I love my new job for lots of reasons - I love the variety, I love the organising, I'm starting to like the camera and I've learnt a new software program - and that's a big deal for me. But the best thing about my new job is that I am now untilising my writing skills ..... a lot - in newsletters, in radio scripts - and I'm loving it.

Living and working on T.I. is great. I have been given opportunities here that I would never have been given back home. Rob likes to remind me that if not for him I would never have come here - true :-)  But if not for me and my willingness to embrace the island life and give it a go, then coming here would have been a waste of time.

Living and working on T.I. is great and ..... life is good :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment