Monday, December 5, 2011

I'm back!!

Hi everyone - it's been a while, hasn't it? I don't know why I stayed away. So much started happening the minute we got back to TI after our last trip to Brisbane and it seemed easier to just let it happen.

In a nutshell:
* Rob went back to work at IBIS on light duties after his back operation. He lasted less than a week and had to take more time off until the pain in his back settled. With the help of physio and a few mild pain killers he returned to the servo and has worked there ever since.

But he was not happy. So after sending off a few job applications one finally came to fruition and he happily quit IBIS,  his final day being last Friday.

* I went back to work at Tagai as public relations officer and hit the ground running. My predecessor, when doing a handover, had told me that speech night preparations later in the year, would be hectic and crazy. I thought - yeah, OK. I had no idea. Hectic? Crazy? Yes - and more. But what a ride :-)

Long hours, long lists, long phone calls, early mornings, memory jolts mid-sleep, panadol at the ready and a much awaited glass of wine in the evenings - it was all worth it. You know that saying "it will all work out on the night"? - well it did! It all ran like clockwork and no-one noticed the hiccups except me :-)

After that, things slowed down but only a tad. We then had to think of Graduation and after that the general winding down of the school year which also finished on Friday - being remote we finish before the other schools.

So what's happening now?

We're leaving TI - for good. Rob's new job is based in Brisbane. And while we both toyed with the idea of me staying and he commuting in between projects, in the end I make the choice to leave too. Let me share some special moments from the last few days.

* My good friend and work colleague Bonnie left on Sunday. Although not in Brisbane she has been transferred to a school in a nearby town, so we have promised to visit each other regularly. I'm looking forward to having her first stay over :-)

At the wharf to farewell Bonnie (in white top)

Waving goodbye to Bonnie.  My friend Zippy is on the left.
* Tuesday night was my last night on the island, so Rob and I invited a couple of friends to join us for a drink. What better venue than the Jardine - the very place that Rob took me to when I first came to the island 19 months ago :-)

Farewell at the Jardine with friends (from left) Rob, Colin, Jan, Robyn, Ron, Pat (hidden) and Marina.

Rob and I sharing a drink at the Jardine

Outdoor area at the Jardine


Dining room at the Jardine
* Saturday night saw most of the TI community strolling through Anzac Park, enjoying the breeze and soaking up the atmosphere at the pre-Christmas night markets. Food stalls, music, Santa arriving on a fire engine and a few craft stalls - all made for another memorable experience. 

Rob and I on the foreshore enjoying the night markets

The Torres lit up for Christmas adding to the atmosphere at the night markets


At the night markets last Saturday. From left: Deb, Robyn, Craig, Me, Bonnie and Susie
















Tuesday was my last day and there was a lot to do - go to the post office to organise the mail, see AQIS about the mat that was given to Rob, final packing of boxes ready for pick up by Silent World (carriers) - and of course lunch at the Fed with friends :-)

And after lunch who could resist a swim in the beautiful turquoise waters of TI? This is what I'll miss - this view which is all around you, is never far away and is so soul nourishing.

Last swim on the last day - isn't it beautiful?
Ah my friends - have I told you lately that ..... life is good?

No comments:

Post a Comment