Sunday, March 13, 2011

Calling all singers

Last year in November calls went out for singers to join a choir - a Torres Strait choir. I didn’t get around to it then so imagine my delight when I recently saw posters around town calling for more singers and advertising rehearsal times and places. This time I made time :-)
The choir is in preparation for the Queensland Music Festival’s event which will take place here, on T.I., in July and specifically concert night – Sunday July 17. We, the choir members, will have the chance to work with several leading Australian music identities, including five soloists, and the highly acclaimed Queensland Youth Orchestra.
We have been in workshops with Louisa Gordon the producer, Erica the project manager and Alison Rogers who is our conductor. Last week we met Damian the musical director; Peter who will conduct the orchestra; and the set designer who shall remain nameless as I have forgotten his name. Yes, it’s a big deal.
Now – I can’t sing. Well I can after a couple of wines, but normally I would put myself in the non-singers gallery. However, Alison’s method of teaching is such that I, and the other choir members, are standing up there with confidence and aplomb and belting out songs to our hearts’ content.

Songs such as “Panis Angelicus” (yes! Panis Angelicus and in latin too, thank you very much), “Non nobis dominie”, Coldplay’s “Fix You” and “Do I make you proud?” as well as a selection of traditional island spiritual songs and hymns.

I can’t wait. We have been rehearsing twice a week for the past 2-3 weeks. Alison and the others fly back to Brisbane tomorrow and will return next month. In the mean time we will have weekly practises with Lassee, who is a music teacher at the primary school.

Erica is currently looking for funding so that our spectacular night can be filmed and recorded on DVD. Needless to say I’ll be buying a copy - for everybody and anybody who will show the tiniest bit of interest. You know, I always wanted to be a back up singer …. "doo-wop, oooooohh aaahhhhh" and generally enhancing the main singer’s vocals. Well my friends here I am at age 56 living the dream - and I want everyone to see it :-)

The concert will take place in Anzac Park which is an open air venue across from the foreshore. There is a rotunda already but it will be modified and made into a stage and a backdrop will be added. On the night we will share the stage with the Youth Orchestra. We will be back up vocals for the soloists as well as having our own segment. Our costumes will reflect the influences of music and spirit on the island lifestyle.

This is truly a spiritual event in every sense. The songs that have been chosen, while not all hymns, still have a spiritual message. The choir is made up of men, women, islanders, non-islanders, young, not so young, those that know they can sing and those that think they can't. We have all been made to feel welcome and wanted as we gather to praise and give thanks in song.
 
Bringing the island alive with music - life is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment