Saturday, March 19, 2011

A challenge or two

“Tough times don’t last, tough people do”. My friend Olivia gave this quote to me last year when I was feeling a bit overwhelmed. I’m feeling like that again. Thank you to everybody who has emailed me to ask about my brother Phil. It’s not good news. He is about to embark on a very rough and tough journey. We hope and pray for a positive outcome as we hand it over to God and the Universe.


Last night our friends Jan and Colin dropped in unexpectedly. It was so nice to see them. But what made it even nicer was that Rob and I were actually in the T.I. hospital – Rob had been admitted the night before. Two weeks ago while lifting boxes in the cold room he felt a bit of a twinge which has since developed into severe pain.

Last night he was resting after an intense day of blood tests, an ultra sound and an x-ray as they try to determine what is going on. At this stage they can't work it out so he is being air lifted to Cairns on Monday. It’s been a roller coaster ride, so Jan and Colin’s visit was a great booster – a rainbow at the end of a cloudy day.

When things like this happen, if you let it, you can feel quite isolated. But here’s the thing – we’re not. Through the wonders of the internet I have been able to share with friends near and far my tears and fears. Through the wonders of telecommunications I have spoken to my family and we have been able to share our worries and hopes about Phil.

And Rob and I, while far from our home base, are definitely not alone - last night was proof of that. And today more phone calls from people we know, offering assistance and a promise of a visit. You only have to reach out and you will always find a hand to grasp.

To be honest I have felt like shutting myself in – there’s too much going on. But what would that achieve? Rob needs me, he needs us and I need us.

And this evening while he was having a little snooze, I waited outside and was privileged to see the most beautiful sunset over the mountains of the neighbouring islands. The water, the sky, the clouds, the breeze - I felt so lucky to be here.

“Tough times don’t last, tough people do” – and while I’m not feeling very tough right at this minute, I’m feeling a kind of energy that is buoying me up and will not allow me to fall. I’m feeling that once I wade through the crap I will see a path and that the path is walkable and manageable.
 
Right at the moment though - life is challenging.

1 comment:

  1. Although I don't comment often-I am thinking of you. I'm pretty sure I know how you will be feeling as times have been 'tough' in this place a few times too. The twelve months of Petals cancer fight was one of those. You will make it just like I did.
    Big hugs ...Maa xx (Sue)

    ReplyDelete