Thursday, March 3, 2011

New beginnings

Hi - I'm back. It's been ages, hasn't it? I've been on holidays in Brisbane, Rob has been flying backwards and forwards to and from T.I. during that time.

Truth be told, I was blogging during the Brisbane floods and I became so overwhelmed by what was happening around me that I deleted what I had written - it all seemed very trivial. I then just wanted to focus on trying to help those around me, if I could. To that end my girls and I volunteered for a couple of weekends, making sandwiches for workers, sweeping mud and feeling frustrated that we couldn't do more. That now seems so long ago.

Rob and I finally arrived back on the island on Tuesday 15th February. I was looking forward to starting  work at the high school as a tutor, as well as getting back into Rotary and back into life on T.I. as we know it. For Rob however, an issue that had been ongoing for several weeks came to a head and on Thursday, 2 days after we got back, he resigned.

In the whirlwind of that decision many things came to pass:
* he was no longer employed
* we no longer had a house - we had 3 days to pack
* I found myself saying hello/goodbye to friends and acquaintances as they welcomed me back from my long holiday
* my head was spinning
* and I was afraid.

In the aftermath of that decision many other things came to pass:
* he found employment after 2 working days
* it came with a brand new house (the cutlery was still in its little plastic bags, the aircon remote still had the plastic thingy over the control buttons)
* the wonderful friends that we have made on this island since arriving last year offered us so much - friendship, practical help, emotional support, and then genuine delight at our falling on our feet
* I'm at the high school 3 days a week and absolutely loving it
* so many other avenues are opening up for both of us as a result of our new start.
* and I am no longer afraid

Rob are I are closer too. What could have turned into a blame game and a finger pointing exercise, became instead a lesson in love, patience, tolerance and trust. Yes - I had a cry. Yes - I told him how scared I was. Yes - I think he wondered if he should have done it, even though it was the right thing to do. Yes - he needed my support. And he had it.

What's he doing? He is now Assistant Manager for IBIS the grocery chain of the Torres Strait. He loves it :-)

So - new beginnings. And a new zest for life for both of us. And a new committment from me to start blogging again as I record the next chapter of my journey that is life on T.I.

Life is good.

1 comment:

  1. It so good to see you back and blogging.
    I am sure this will be even more exciting as you are now considered locals ;)

    ReplyDelete