Sunday, August 8, 2010

Ilan Cafe

Pic: Panna cotta as served at Ilan Cafe


Last night I ate at an Italian restaurant - the tables were covered with white linen tablecloths, the wait staff were dressed in black and white, the menu was interesting, inventive, mouth-watering, the presentation was immaculate ...... and the restaurant was on Thursday Island.

Last night I could have been in any elegant well named eatery on the mainland - but I was eating at the Ilan Cafe at the Gab Titui cultural centre. The cafe is owned by Mikey, a gentle young man from Israel who trained as a pastry chef and has since developed his skills to include italian cuisine. Mikey is good for T.I. - he is dedicated, knows his craft and is passionate about all things food.

I had prawn and spinach risotto, one of my girlfriends had veal scallopine and the other had pasta with bugs in white wine sauce. We finished this wonderful meal by sharing a panna cotta.

Now we have another choice. Now, on a Friday and Saturday night we can add the Ilan Cafe to our selection of eating out places.

Italian on T.I. - life is good.

1 comment:

  1. What were the bugs?
    I'm pleased that you are finding more and more things to make TI a place you can stay at for awhile

    ReplyDelete