Thursday, August 12, 2010

Tagai High School

Before starting at TSIREC, which was a 3-4 week contract, I had applied for the position of teacher's aide in the english department at the high school. While working at TSIREC I was contacted by the school to come for an interview - and I was successful. Rob has said, rather facetiously I think, that I was probably the only applicant. Whatever - I still got it. I am now working for Tagai State High School as a teacher's aide :)

"The people throughout the Torres Strait are united by their connection to the stars of the Tagai. The Tagai consists of stories which are the cornerstone of Torres Strait Islanders' spiritual beliefs. These stories focus on the origins of these stars and identify Torres Strait Islanders as sea people who share a common way of life. The movements of Tagai across the sky instruct the world order, predicting new seasons and ensuring everything has a place." (as taken from the Tagai State College web page)

My job consists of admin work for the eight teachers in the staff room. As well, I assist them in classroom activites - and this is the part I love. But truth be told, I have felt a bit awkward with the kids this week. I can't wait for the time when I know their names. They know me - I have been introduced as Mrs S (S for Siliato) - I like that. And they like it too - it's short and simple.

And today when walking back to the staffroom after a library session I was greeted by a lovely smiling face and a very loud "hello Mrs S". It was ...... I don't know who it was, but give me time and I'll be able to say back "hello (name)".

Give me time and I'll know where K block is, B block and all the other blocks. Give me time and I'll find my way to the computer labs without a map, and feel confident enough to ring the janitor and ask him to come and see what's wrong with the antique/ancient/out of date photo copier. Give me time and I won't be scared to go to the office and ask for whatever it is I need to ask and not feel intimitaed by the admin staff - why do they have so much power? Even the teachers are scared!

So begins another phase. I'm really looking forward to becoming a part of the Tagai College community. Already it feels right.

Going back to school - life is good.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a great job. I was a teacher aide for special needs - working with children with special needs for three years, and loved the aspect of working with children giving them a 'lift up' along their way of education.
    Not sure if I quite believe in the foundation of their teaching but yea being a part of a community like that is so "belonging". You will love it. And don't ever say you are "just" a teacher aide

    ReplyDelete