Saturday, May 14, 2011

Celebrating each other

Tomorrow we will celebrate Phil's life and lay him to rest. And today we are all getting together as a family to celebrate each other.

No doubt we will be talking about Phil, remembering him in oh so many ways - what he would have said, how he would have liked, how he would have laughed. And we may even get a little teary as we talk.

But today is about being together and making promises to ourselves - silently, not out aloud - that we will do this more often. And if we can't, we will at least stay in touch. In this day and age that's not difficult.

Tomorrow will be another type of get-together - sadder, emotional, maybe at times unbearable. And we will again talk about Phil.

There's been a bit of planning this week. We've booked the church, it's a full Mass - well if you know my mother it wouldn't be anything less. We're having singers to sing the traditional hymns (again my Mum) and the Mass booklets have been printed too. They look great - there's lots of photos and wonderful memories - a lovely tribute to Phil. And in case you're wondering why Mum has so much clout, well Phil gave her carte blanche :-)

Mum asked me to write the eulogy - it was hard. There was so much I didn't know about him and that made me sad. I should have been able to sit down and have so much information in my head, but instead I struggled. But what I didn't struggle with was recounting how he bravely fought his cancer and how much I admired him. That part was easy and in fact I can't say it loud enough.

But today is for those of us left behind as we reminisce, hold on to fond memories ..... and wish with all our hearts that he was here to reminisce as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment