Friday, May 6, 2011

Home alone with Phil

Yesterday was relatively quiet after the busyness of Thursday. So Mum took advantage and went out to do a few chores - pick up meds from the chemist, go to the bank, buy a new washing machine. Yes - in amongst everything that's going on her washing machine stopped working a few days ago. And while it wasn't exactly  a priority I do think that she needed some time away - and this was a good excuse.

So when I arrived she was dressed and ready to go. My brother Anthony and his wife were due to arrive from Toowoomba after lunch so she would be back by then.

That meant that I would be home alone with Phil .... and I was a bit nervous. I mean I've been alone with him lots of times before he became bed-ridden and not a problem. But since then, Mum has always been around - either in another room or out in the yard - so if I needed to, I could call her. But now, she would actually be away.

But Phil , as usual, was no trouble. He slept for most of the time and when he did wake I was able to tend to him. His needs are very simple - a drink of water, to be uncovered or covered up, to move a pillow, or to use a tissue. I felt silly that I had been anxious.

It's just that I want to get it right for him. As he gets weaker, his voice has gotten softer and it's sometimes hard to understand when he speaks. We then get a bit frustrated and something that ends up being simple, has caused a bit of angst. My sister-in-law Deb, an aged-care nurse, has shown us how to move him in bed so as not to hurt him, and ourselves, and to get it right the first time. Mum and I just want to make this as easy for him as we can.

Mum needs to go out again today to get groceries. I could offer to go for her, pick them up on my way to her place, save her a trip. But I won't. She needs to get out and do something different, something mundane, mix and mingle with other people.

And I want to be home alone with Phil.

No comments:

Post a Comment