Sunday, May 8, 2011

We are family

Last night Mum and I felt overwhelmed. While Phil had had a normal sort of day, he became a bit restless by evening so Mum asked if I could stay over and give her a hand. So a quick trip home to pick up pyjamas and toothbrush, give Rob a kiss hello/goodbye and back to Mum's to sit through the night shift.

Phil's night was bad. What was he feeling - was he in pain, was he uncomfortable? He was distressed, we were beside ourselves. By 8am this morning, I'd had about 2 hours sleep and Mum - well I don't think she slept at all.

I felt totally out of my depth and urged Mum to talk to Blue Care about what to do next  - should we admit him to hospital or do we perservere with home care? I was tired, a bit frazzled and reacting in fear.

But by the time Jenny and Julie our Care nurses arrived I had been home, freshened up, been taken to coffee by Rob for Mother's Day and calmed down - I was now ready to face a new day for my brother.

Mum has decided that Phil is staying home - this is his wish - and she is going to honour it. And I will honour it too. Blue Care and St Vincents will assist us daily and have been encouraging, kind and understanding.

Our family too are stepping in to help - Matt and Rose (Phil's kids), Anthony and Deb (our younger brother and sister-in-law). My children and spouses Mark and Carmel, Vera and Cameron, Nikki and Dan comfort us with their love, their phone calls and their visits.

Rob, my beautiful partner, is loving and understanding of my need to be with Phil as much as I can. 

With their love and support Mum and I will be able to face this next stage of Phil's journey.

1 comment:

  1. Wow my dear Silvana, you are such a beautiful and inspirational person - actually, one of the most inspirational people I ever known. I am with you in thoughts. Love Mila xx

    ReplyDelete