Sunday, June 19, 2011

Back on T.I.

Hi honey - I'm home!

Kacee and I arrived back on the island on Saturday afternoon after leaving our home in Brisbane at 4.45 .... yes - in the a.m. After a pleasant flight to Cairns we then had a five hour wait before boarding another plane for the final leg to Horn Island.

The lovely Air Express person in Brisbane suggested I pick Kacee up from their depot at Cairns airport and take her for a walk to fill in time. What a good idea :-) Needless to say she was very pleased to see me and we spent about an hour together sitting in the sun and walking around the airport car park.

We're so lucky that she travels well - she really has no choice does she? - and we know she's won the hearts of both handlers and airport staff. They love her, and some even remember her from the previous time. Qantas - you really need to introduce Frequent Flyer points for pets :-)

Once home, Rob did the right thing and had a wine chilling for me. It was so great to see him and to catch up on all the island news. I was too tired to unpack so after a chat and a quick shower we walked the few minutes to Anzac Park where a group of people were enjoying a free BBQ. This was to celebrate the conclusion of  "Walk the Ilan" - a joint initiative between Queensland Health and the Shire Council.

Earlier, participants had met in the park and in groups or individually, walked around the island. The walk took about an hour and the idea was to get everyone participating in an activity that is both healthy and fun and to maybe consider doing it on a regular basis.

The wonderful Rotary club looked after the BBQ - it was delicious - as was the lovely warm welcome they gave me. It felt good to be back :-)

Sunday saw me go to church where I enjoyed another welcome-home .... you know, a girl can get used to this :-) And then the rest of the morning I settled back in - read "tidied up the unit". Can you imagine? Rob had been living there for two weeks, alone, with no-one to guide him on how to wash up, put things away and just generally keep house. He was in boy heaven.

So after unpacking, washing up dishes and clothes and putting things away, Rob and I spent an enjoyable afternoon at the pub sipping beer and eating hot chips - does it get any better?

It is good to be back. I wish my Mum had come up with me. She wanted to, but there was still a few things that needed her attention regarding Phil and she didn't want to be rushed. I'd love to have her here in the few weeks before I start work.

But, as I now know, when you make plans - well, God has a good laugh.

I'm not complaining though - life is good :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment