Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Continuing along Douglas Street

Next up from the DVD shop - Col Jones - the everything shop - newsagent, homewares, clothes, shoes, Retravision. The green shop to the right and behind the container is Mona's - home of all things islander. That's where I bought my Big Dress :-) And they are also supplying our costumes for the Music Festival. When they sent out the email to get our sizes I ordered a child's size 12 as their women's sizes are quite large ...... so they've got me a women's size 14!!! I'll be the one drowning in the floral dress :-) :-)

Homewares aplenty in Col Jones

Kids are always well dressed on TI :-)

TI pharmacy from across the street. The shop to the left is the office of Warren Entsch MP for Torres Strait. Notice how wide the streets are. I'm still standing on the road to take this shot, not the footpath - they're very wide.

Left: Next to Mona's is the medical centre - for doctors and dentist
Right: Torres Shire Council and library. I think I'm black listed at the library. I was away so long I came back to 3 late notices and a threat to send in the debt collectors !?! I returned the books ASAP with a letter of apology and explanation and also names of people who could vouch for my integrity. That they happend to be my Rotary friends and also work at the council is a coincidence :-)

The front of the TSRA offices which is behind our units. You can sort of make out the lane way and see our wooden fence.

When I walk out my gate and to the foreshore this is what I see when I look to the left. The main wharf is in the distance. This is where the ferry stops when it comes over from Horn Island. My fantasy is that one day I will be standing on the wharf waiting to greet a family member - a friend would be nice too - who has come up to visit me. Well I can dream can't I? I don't know if you can make it out but there's a Customs ship moored at the wharf. Tide is out.

And this is the view to the right. Tide is out otherwise it looks really lovely - it still does I suppose. The island  on the right is Goodes Island, I think. Any TI-ers please let me know if I'm wrong and I'll correct it. You can't really see it but the bowls club and the boat club are at the end of this walk. Last year, if you remember,  we went to Derby Day - well it was held at the boat club, right on the water - magic :-)

The building on the far left is the Federal Hotel - the Fed. It has some great murals - most of them politically incorrect, but very funny and very well done. If you sit in the bar you get a great view of the beach - well it's right across the road.  You used to be able to get a good pub meal there but lately it seems to have dropped it's game a bit :-(  Having said that, the place still has a great atmosphere and it's a good place to go for a beer, chips and a catch up. We're going there this Saturday night for a trivia night. And as you can see it's not far to walk :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment