Saturday, June 25, 2011

International flavour

What I love about living up here is that I am experiencing things that may never have happened to me back home. I'm meeting people and making friends with people that I would not normally encounter in my everyday life. And it's good. And it makes me realise how richer I've become as a result.

Last night was a great example. I'd said to Rob during the week did he want to mention to the backpackers to have dinner together on Saturday night? And let's make it interesting - how about everyone cooks something from their home town? Now I wasn't sure how many of them would want to join in but I was prepared to make it a fun night. And it was :-)

Salad, bread, cheese, beer and wine all adding flavour to our international feast
They all came and cooked and joined in with a spirit of fun and friendship. What better way to cement international relations than over food?

From Belgium we ate steak, chips and salad, from Sweden we tasted swedish meatballs ...... made with lentils ..... because Frederick and Ebba are vegetarian :-), a sweet bread/scone mixture and home made potato crisps; from Australia we shared sweet chilli chicken pieces and sausages and from Italy we savoured a vegetable lasagna - because Frederick and Ebba are vegetarian :-) - and an eggplant parmigiana. It was a feast - a veritable feast!



Kacee getting a pat from Frederick. Arthur (regional manager) and me in the background
Ebba and Frederick - the vegetarians :-)
Nikki and Kacee
Zoe showing off

The lovely Yves
Rob and Georgina
It's funny - Rob and I were a bit iffy when we heard that backpackers were going to live in the front unit. I don't know why. Maybe we thought loud music and all night parties.

Well, when it comes to loud music, I feel I should share with my T.I. friends the joys of Italian songs so the dulcet tones of Patrizio can often be heard emanating from our unit.

And all night parties - well these poor darlings are so tired after their shifts, it's dinner, a bit of  TV and an early night. Although last night we did share our karaoke stories and have made a promise to wander over to the Torres before they all leave.

Last night is another memory that I will take back with me when Rob and I eventually leave this lovely island. Last night was a great example of how wonderful it is to open your heart and your mind and to cherish what you have, not what you don't have.

Last night I found again that - life is good.

1 comment: