Sunday, June 6, 2010

How wide is my comfort zone?




"Get out of your comfort zone" - now that's a phrase that's bandied around liberally. You need to "get out of your comfort zone" and stretch yourself, do things that make you uncomfortable and in that process you grow.

Now I thought that coming to live here - on Thursday Island - was getting out of my comfort zone. I mean listen to this - I was moving out of the city to go and live in a remote area, I was leaving behind family, friends, job, house and pets and going to live in parts unknown .... well unknown to me. Let me tell you - that didn't even touch the sides!

This morning I got way out of my comfort zone. This morning, with my full consent and with my full knowledge I went on a helicopter ride. OK, I hear you asking, what's the big deal? I mean, that's exciting isn't it? A scenic helicopter ride over the reefs - the weather is fine, the sea is blue, the pilot is experienced ......... and the helicopter is very, very l-i-t-t-l-e.

I was terrified. I was so scared. I didn't enjoy it. I wanted to be anywhere but where I was - up in the air, away from the ground, in a little tin bubble.

Let me ask ..... how far do we have to go to prove to ourselves that we can do it? How far do we have to go to conquer a fear? I think, today, that I went above (pardon the pun) and beyond.

And this is what I found out. Helicopter joy rides are not for me. I don't like them. I don't enjoy them. And you know what? - that's OK. I tried it, I didn't like it ..... and that's OK.

My comfort zone is not very wide. I'm prepared to stretch it a bit ..... to extend myself and become uncomfortable. I do believe that in doing this I will develope and grow and become, not so much a better person, but a more broad-minded person, a better balanced person.

But do I have to extend it to the point where it's no longer a growth experience but an experience overcome with fears, albeit irrational, and trepidation? I don't think so. I know I will continue to look for experiences that stretch me, that make me feel uncomfortable. Because ultimately I do want to continue my growth and development and feel that satisfaction that comes from extending the comfort zone.

But let me tell you this - I will not, in fact never! get into a helicopter ever again.

Life on the ground - that's where it should be :)

No comments:

Post a Comment