Friday, July 9, 2010

Choices

Last night Rob and I felt like takeaway. Here are our choices:
1. Island Rooster which sells chicken, chips, pizza
2. and ......... that's it.

I guess you could say that we have a choice within Island Rooster - do you want chicken, chips, or chicken and chips, or pizza, or pizza and chips, or pizza and chicken? .... the list is endless (eyes rolling).

So we decided to have carb and fat city. No that's not what they called it - it's what I called it because that's what it was - pizza and chips. I know!

Now if Rob and I had wanted to go out - then we would have had more to choose from. Our choices would have grown to a possible 4 venues!

* The Grand Hotel - well, you can order from the kitchen and eat in the pub, but you can't buy bottled wine (at a pub!) you have to buy by the glass. There is a restaurant there but it's closed for refurbishment and will reopen very soon as an asian restaurant.
* The Torres Hotel - but you don't want to eat there.
* The Federal Hotel - not bad, bit of atmosphere, new chef, new kitchen, generous serves - and you can buy wine by the bottle :)
* The Jardine - this is the swish place, where you go for special nights out. They have tapas every Friday night and regular themed nights - next Saturday is Mexican.

Ok I hear you saying - you do have a choice. Yes I do - but sometimes you just want to go somewhere else. Sometimes you want to try something new, something different.

But having too much choice can sometimes be confusing and can lead to nothing. I can think of many times back home when I would frustrate Rob no end with "I don't know what I want to do - you choose" and then giving his choice the thumbs down :) Sometimes, it's an advantage to be limited in what's available and then you have to make the best of that situation. And you do - if you're prepared to change your mindset.

So, now that's where I am. And so far I haven't had a problem with that. In fact, I haven't even felt like it's a case of making the most of it. I like what's here and how it is. I have slotted into life on T.I. very easily, in fact a lot easier than I had thought - and probably than most of my friends and family had thought too.

Yes, there are times when I become wistful and wish that it was like home - last night is probably a good example - but where's the fun in that? :) The difference is what is making this an adventure.

BTW - the chips were yummy, the pizza had a nice base but I could not find any topping (supposed to be seafood) and it was smothered in cheese. By the time I had peeled off the blanket of cheese, I ended up eating bread. Carb and fat city.

Learning to live differently - life is an adventure :)

No comments:

Post a Comment