Friday, July 16, 2010

Hungry Night

Last night Rob and I went to a Hungry Night. I can see you all thinking that it must be some sort of Thursday Island ritual. Well it is ..... sort of :)

The local Rotary club hosts a Hungry Night roughly once a month. We meet at someone's house and everybody brings something to eat. I made a beef bourguignon (it was Bastille Day on Wednesday, so I thought I'd stay in theme) and a batch of chocolate brownies for dessert.

Now about two years ago Rob and I went to Norfolk Island for a week - he'd been working on a project and they needed him to go over and do some hands on training. And in the course of that week we met some wonderful people and consequently were invited to one of their Pot Luck Dinners. Same thing - we met at someone's house and everybody brought something to eat. Rob and I ordered a cheese platter from the local deli as we were staying in a motel and I didn't really have the facilites or equipment to make anything.

And last night I realised that it doesn't matter where you are - people coming together in fellowship and sharing a meal is such an open display of friendship and good will. Both nights were hosted by a different group of people and in a totally different place. But some things were the same - the wonderful array of food, the relaxed atmosphere, the fun and camaradarie.

Each cook offers their contribution with the hope that you really like it. And we do because we know that anything made, and then offered with love is worth tasting, savouring - you know it will be good.

Sharing dinner with friends - life is good :)

No comments:

Post a Comment