Tuesday, July 27, 2010

What's happening?

This Friday morning I'm being inducted into Rotary. There is a process before this happens - I've had to attend at least four meetings, help at two market BBQs and work at the monthly beach clean ups. The executive then meets and talks about me and votes to invite me to join.

My sponsor then formally asked if I wanted to become a member and I accepted. So this Friday is the culmination of that process. Rob of course will be there. In fact he was the one who got me interested. He had been asked to join soon after arriving on the island, but his job makes it hard for him to commit to the regular meetings so I happily stepped in.

The T.I. Rotary club meets every Friday morning for breakfast and every three months we have a meeting assembly - this is where we see what we're doing, how it's working and plan for the future direction of the club. I attended my first meeting assembly last Sunday. Lots of good ideas were bandied around and it's exciting to be a part of such a dynamic and energetic group.

The pilot house is playing host to a meeting assembly of sorts. Our board of directors is here for two days and like the Rotary meeting they are here to see what's happening, how it's happening and what they want to happen in the future.

Tonight we're hosting a soireee - yes a soiree on T.I. - to meet and greet the local business community. Chef has been busy planning a menu and delegating jobs to very eager helpers. I'm making mini quiche and island themed dips :) The outdoor area will be decorated with palm leaves, bouganvillea flowers and greenery. Rob and I are looking forward to playing hosts and to be a part of the future of this exciting and growing industry.

And so ends my two months on T.I. That's how long I came up for - 2 months - to see how it would be, how I'd like it, to be with Rob, to have an adventure. Sunday marked two months since I arrived. I've had a sort of meeting assembly with myself - what's been happening, what am I doing now and what do I want to do.

And I've decided ....... I'm not leaving just yet. I'm having too much fun. I like being a part of this community - through work, volunteering, getting involved - finding my strengths and stretching my comfort zone (a little bit at a time).

So my faithful followers, I will continue to keep you updated with life on T.I. I will continue to share my thoughts and feelings about this amazing beautiful island so far away from my home, my family, my friends but yet becoming bit by bit a part of me as well.

Life on T.I. - life is good.

1 comment:

  1. We will continue to watch you as you go deeper into your discovery of TI life.

    ReplyDelete