Thursday, July 15, 2010

Angels

Today I met 3 angels. Today I went from high to humble in the space of a few hours.

This morning I went for my first volunteer visit to the local aged care home, Star of the Sea (remember last week I had to organise a police check?). I was warmly welcomed by the director of nursing who introduced me to the staff on duty. Lorelle then took me around and introduced me to the residents sitting in the day room. Some greeted me, others just nodded, others were not at all interested.

The first hour went fairly fast and I met some lovely personalities. I heard the same stories over and over but I expected that. And then at lunch time one of the nurses asked would I assist her to feed the residents in one of the wards. Of course ...... I wanted to help as much as I could.

I met the most beautiful and loving souls - childlike, vulnerable, so dependent on the kindness of others, so trusting that we will look after them. I fed 2 residents - one male, Obe and one female, Jaub. I chatted away as if we were having a conversation - they could not speak coherently, but they answered in their own way. What is lovely is the way they smile at you when they pick up that you've said something funny.

But what brought a tear was when, at the end of the meal, they both looked me in the eyes and asked "what is your name?" as clear as a bell. I promised them both that I would be back next week to feed them and I got the most amazing smiles in response.

I came home feeling sad, humbled, elated, honoured and happy that I had made the time to go and do something that I had been wanting to do since arriving here on the island.

But the people I want to acknowledge and praise are the nursing staff - all 3 of them. 3 people - 3 amazing, kind, dedicated, caring, very overworked women - 3 angels. I witnessed them at work - they were gentle, stopping to caress and say a kind word, responding to the residents' needs with respect and treating them with dignity. They were short staffed today. Normally there's 5 of them.

I've heard about understaffing at nursing homes but today I saw it. And I also saw dedication, love, kindness and compassion. I gave 2 hours of my time and came away drained. These angels do it every day.

Today I found out that life is humbling.

1 comment:

  1. Working as you have said is something I would like to do but I need an income so volunteering is not something I can do just yet

    ReplyDelete