Friday, July 30, 2010

Lovely lazy Saturday

Another lovely lazy Saturday morning on T.I. It's a tad windy - which I don't mind - and even a bit overcast.

This morning we had our regular Saturday markets in the Port Kenedy hall. Normally they're held once a month but in the tourist season we have them every fortnight. It's a wonderful array of all things Torres Strait - jewellery, clothes, mats, books, craft and art work. And as you would expect Rotary has a very important presence - the sausage sizzle :)

After my market stint, Rob, Kacee and I wandered down Douglas Street. First stop - the coffee shop. Don't worry if there isn't a table - everyone is happy to share. I've met some lovely people this way - a couple from Cairns, and a visitor from Brisbane who used to live here and was back with his young son staying with friends.

Then into Mona's to buy that scarf I've been eyeing off and a chat with Julie who has a very bubbly personality and makes you want to go into the shop even if you're not buying.

Next stop - the newsagent or Col Jones - whichever, the locals know where you mean. I waited outside and chatted with Helen, the school princpal. She was selling tickets to the Wongai Ball which is the major fund raiser for the Catholic school and is THE event of the social calender of T.I. Yes - we're going :)

We're home now. Rob is off at the hardware shop - even on Thursday Island some Saturday morning rituals do not change - Kacee is asleep on the couch and I'm sitting here pondering and feeling content.

What would make it perfect? A hug from my kids. But that will happen in a couple of month's time. Until then, I live in the now, enjoy the now and look forward to the future.

Life is good.

1 comment: